The aim of this taught course is to provide the health care/registered practitioner with an understanding of the theory and practice behind the management and care required for safe and effective urinary catheterisation in adults.
To understand own responsibilities and roles in ensuring safe and component practice in urinary catheterisation.
- To identify what is urinary catheterisation and the different types.
- To provide an understanding of the indications or reasons for catheterisation.
- To describe the importance of correct selection of a urinary catheter e.g. catheter material, length, size, duration and catheter drainage systems.
- To detail the structure and function of the urinary system.
- To outline the importance of urinary assessment and maintaining client centred values.
- To describe types of catheters and other equipment / accessories
- Understand the risks and potential complications of catheterisation and how to minimise them.
- To develop the skills needed for the safe and correct insertion of a urinary catheter.
- Catheter Care
- Infection Control
Interested in this course?